Things have progressed rather slowly but I have pretty much completed the engine rebuild. This rebuild is very similar to one that I did for the Orange Track Car (see articles here and here). Here are some facts about the rebuild (from the bottom up).
- I used an existing oil pan that I had that had the Lindsey oil pan baffle door installed.
- New oil pan gasket.
- New rod bearings and new main bearings.
- Cleaned out oil passages in block.
- Crank journals polished at the local machine shop.
- New nuts on the rod bearing studs.
- Pre-fit and verified all bearing clearances with Plasti-Gauge.
- Used existing pistons and rods, with new rings.
- New seals on oil “fill” tower.
- New rear main crankshaft seal.
- New clutch and throwout bearing.
- New head gasket.
- Head machine work- new valve guides, 3 angle valve grind, head gasket sealing surface machined flat.
- New valve stem oil seals.
- New balance shaft bearings.
- New cam, crankshaft, and balance shaft oil seals.
- New shaft seal spacers, i.e. the metal surface that the seals ride on.
- New idlers/rollers.
- New timing and balance shaft belts.
- New water pump and thermostat.
- New exhaust manifold studs.
- New radiator hoses.
- New spark plug wires.
So that’s a lot of stuff to keep track of and to get installed. I use the Porsche shop manual and the PET drawings a lot to keep track of where I was at.
Last weekend I spent several hours puzzling over the vacuum hose routing. There is little diagram on the wheel well but it’s still a damn puzzle. I fortunately had my other car to refer to. So I’m getting close to firing this puppy up! Maybe this weekend.
Costs: My total parts costs from Paragon-Products was $2352.
The most costly item was the clutch kit, at $685. Spark plug wires (not really a rebuild item) were $129. So we’re down to $1538. Machine shop charges were $350 so we’re back up to $1888. My budget had been $1425, which didn’t include any of the small items I bought. So not bad all in all. Even if I manage to trash this engine somehow, a lot of items like the clutch, hoses, and spark plug wires can go on the next engine.
Oh, by the way, I weighed the engine. 375 pounds, without the A/C compressor but with alternator and starter.