//
You're reading...
White Etype Restoration

1967 Etype 2+2 – Prepping for Sale

My 1967 Etype 2+2 is currently in the process of being listed for sale on the Bring A Trailer website. I will be posting a more complete discussion of that sale shortly but in the meantime, here is an update on some prep items I have completed.

I have been driving the car quite a bit recently, to flush out any issues and also as required to prepare various videos that will be used in the BAT ad. Here, for instance, is a link to a driving video that I prepared:

I did my Restoration 2.0 with new porcelain coated exhuast manifolds. I guess all the spirited driving did a number on them, because I noticed that the porcelain was failing. This was disappointing to say the least but I decided to rectify the cosmetic situation by having the manifolds coated by the Jet Hot company. I am fortunate that they are located just 45 minutes north of me so I was able to deliver them personally. They do not have a process that duplicates the porcelain look. I went with Satin Black. FYI they do not offer a Gloss Black. Here is a photo of a set of new porcelain manifolds (that will go on my 63 FHC) and the Jet Hot ones.

As you can see, they are not as shiny. And the Jet Hot process does not fill in any of the imperfections in the casting for the manifold. I guess if you are really industrious, you can refine the surface of your manifolds with sandpaper, etc. but it is a complex surface and I decided to forgoe that effort. Here they are installed in the car.

If you look closely, one of the brass nuts is missing! I’m sure it will turn up right after I order a new one!

I would say that installation was straightforward in the general sense. One thing that gave me pause was the replacement of the sealing ring at the connection between the manifold and the downpipes. A search of Jag-Lovers revealed that some had problems in this area. I pretested the sealing rings that I had purchased from SNG. They looked to be good. I used a cutoff wheel to free the old rings. The new ones were snug but with minor persuasion, slipped over the ends of the down pipes. The hardest part is reaching the nuts on the bottoms side of the connection. It takes a long extension and a swivel fitting.

So that was fun. While I was in there, I did a little paint touchup under the firewall. I had landed a pad from my lift here multiple times and I guess the paint was unhappy about that. Due to the location, I decided to go “quick and dirty” using a can of Duplicolor spray paint in Wimbledon White, which is the exterior color of the car. It is not a great match but again, it is in an area that is rarely seen by anyone beyond the random ant passing through.

By the way, you will notice a little brown staining in the right side of the photo. No this is not rust, it is the anti-rust treatment that I blasted into the inside of the engine frame tubes. It has the annoying property of becoming a liquid again when warmed up. I have been fighting it in a number of places in the engine compartment. Fortunately it wipes right up with mineral spirits.

Another small job was the lower chrome trim strip on the windscreen. It popped out of the rubber molding. I try to install these dry with no glue but this one was not cooperating. I used a little bit of Super Glue to keep it in place. I have found that if you are careful, the Super Glue is an invisible repair. Just don’t drop it on your paint. Don’t ask me how I know!

Finally, there was an issue on the drivers door card. I lost points in the concours because some holes were visible in the vinyl. This was self inflicted, as I had originally misunderstood how the door cards were attached and placed 4 small sheet metal screws along the top edge. I now understand that the top of the door card fits into the chrome trim strip. I purchased a product from Colorplus.com, which is a company I recommend, to fill the holes. Then I sanded and painted over the repair area with some paint to match vinyl dye, which I also bought from Colorplus. The repair won’t fool anyone who looks closely. That said, when I reinstalled the door card, I was able to more firmly insert the door card into the chrome strip such that the repair area really isn’t visible.

So that pretty much completes my punchlist of things to do. I look forward to the BAT sales experience. I sold my Porsche 944 on BAT and was very pleased with the entire process. Stay tuned here for updates.

Discussion

Comments are closed.

Follow New Hill Garage on WordPress.com
%d bloggers like this: