It was time to turn my attention to the damage to the block due to the blowout of the balance shaft bearing. I had the machine shop tap the oil supply holes to the bearings, which were then stopped with internal hex screws.
In the same photo above you can see the passages that allow the oil to drain back to the sump. I drilled partially into the block and installed small split pins, to give the JB Weld something to anchor too. On the bottom side of the block, these passages are a bit larger.
You can also see in the above picture how there is some hair line cracking in the bottom of the block. I ran some long split pins all the way through this area into a shallow hole in the sound material of the block, to tie it back together.
At the other drain hole, I put in a split pin to help anchor the JB Weld.
Now it was time for the JB Weld. I used some duct tape to mask off the passage way at the balance shaft end and proceeded to ladle in the JB Weld.
After the JB weld cure 24 hours, I stripped the duct tape off one side. On the other side, I filed down the JB Weld and finished by using my rotary sander to get a flat surface. Remember the fact that I used a file. It will come into play later.
And that was it. It was time to start putting the engine back together!